The Future of Graduate Recruitment: Trends to Watch
In a rapidly changing job market, the landscape of graduate recruitment is starting to undergo a major shift. Several factors are contributing to this transformation, such as advancements in technology and changes in work practices.
In order to stay ahead of the curve, it’s all about embracing these changes during both the hiring process and workplace environment, to attract and retain the most promising graduates.
In this blog, we’re going to outline the key trends that are shaping the future of graduate recruitment:
Gone are the days when candidates would submit a document CV to the hiring manager when applying for a job.
Nowadays, video CVs are taking centre stage. These short, informative videos are approximately 2 minutes long and give the candidate just enough time to outline their skills, background, experience and personality, to give the employer an idea of who they are and what they can bring to the company.
There are many benefits of a video CV that can be advantageous to employers, including:
- Greater insight: Video CVs provide a deeper understanding of candidates beyond what a traditional document CV can convey. Employers can deeply assess the candidates’ character, enthusiasm, and communication abilities to determine whether they’re the right fit for the company.
- Cultural fit assessment: Video CVs enable employers to gauge how well candidates align with the organisation’s culture and ensure that they are a suitable fit for the workplace and the team.
- Effective screening: Video CVs offer a time-efficient way to screen candidates. It is a simple way to quickly identify promising individuals before investing more time in in-depth interviews.
As remote work becomes much more common across the world (particularly during the global pandemic) virtual onboarding has become a fundamental aspect of bringing new graduates on board.
While face-to-face training remains the preference for some employers, organisations are increasingly turning to digital solutions to make the transition for new hires a much more seamless process. This may include the use of virtual video-based onboarding programmes, e-learning modules, and even opportunities for virtual team-building exercises.
Remote work opportunities
Remote working is no longer just a novelty trend; it’s created a major shift in how we work on a day-to-day basis. As a result, graduates are now on the hunt for jobs that have a remote or hybrid-working policy to provide a better work/life balance. As such, offering remote work options for new candidates can be a powerful draw for new talent. But, this style of working doesn’t just benefit the employee.
Here are some of the key reasons why you can benefit from implementing remote working options into your policy:
- Access talent across the world: Without geographical constraints, employers have the opportunity to recruit graduates worldwide, which grants access to a broader array of skilled individuals.
- Enhanced productivity: Many graduates find that they can be more productive in the comfort of their own environments, free from the distractions often associated with traditional office settings.
- Cost savings: Businesses can eliminate the need for renting office spaces, leading to reduced overheads.
Skills over degrees
Employers are now placing greater emphasis on skills, rather than solely focusing on the degree and certification. Graduates with a great deal of practical experience and an abundance of soft skills such as communication, organisation and adaptability are highly sought-after and can benefit almost every company in every industry.
Given this trend, it is advisable to craft job descriptions that underscore the importance of skills. This approach not only attracts a wider pool of qualified candidates, but also means that suitable applicants are more likely to hit the ground running from day one.
If you’re ready to take the leap into graduate recruitment, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Inspiring Interns, you can tap into a diverse pool of recent graduates eager to embark on their career journeys. Explore our latest graduates’ Video CVs today and reach out to us with your enquiries. Your next great hire could be just a click away!